Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ad hominem

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it. Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy.

On thing that bloggers tend to face is finding that not everyone agrees with their stated point of view. I understand as a blogger that there will be some who disagree with me about different topics. I'm not afraid to discuss something I've posted, that is why I post on some of the topics I present on this blog.

Unfortunately, it is so easy on the internet to hide behind the name Anonymous. A lot of the time those using that name are seeking clarification and a deeper understanding. They are even willing to point out fallacies in my arguments. Unfortunately, others use Anonymous to hide their real identity and make personal attacks concerning my posts.

I want to remind everyone that I moderate all comments on this blog. I have also made a change that will not allow Anonymous post comments. I ask that comments actually address the argument being presented in my blog post and not resort to ad hominem attacks against myself or other commentators. Ad hominem attacks will not be posted. I also ask that you have the strength of your conviction to use a real name and identity when you engage in discussions on the blog. Remember, one should never say something online that they would not say to someone's face.

No comments: